- TypeScript 2.4 was announced this week, with dynamic
import()expressions, string enums, and a couple of other features.
- Safari’s Technology Preview 34 brings experimental support for Sub-Resource Integrity.
- Webpack 3 was released with support for scope hoisting. This is a huge step forward as it can reduce bundle sizes significantly. Another useful feature in this new version are magic comments for dynamic imports.
- Samim shares insights into how assisted writing tools are using machine learning to understand and generate the human language. While the article focuses on how we can reimagine word processing software with machine learning and better algorithms, we can also learn a lot about improving our own writing style.
- Eric Bidelman shares how we can use headless Chrome for automated testing, in this case to run your Mocha and Chai tests via the Karma test runner. As a bonus, he also explains how this works on a CI-server.
- React Express is an all-in-one guide to modern React application development. Perfect for people who want to get into React development and understand the differences between the various approaches.
- To help us better understand how Grid differs from Flexbox, Stefan Baumgartner wrote a concise introduction to Grid layouts.
Work & Life
- Kristian Glass wrote an article about making decisions and owning them—something I constantly fail at in private life and could still improve in business life.
- The ethical smartphone vendor Fairphone wants Apple to steal its idea of building devices that don’t rely on resources sourced with child-labor or under inhumane working conditions. So far, Fairphone has built two variants of smartphones, and as an owner of the Fairphone 1, I’m convinced that it’s possible to manufacture ethically better devices.