today is border:none time which I’m very excited about. This WDRL is served again on Friday. Last week I asked if you prefer Monday over Friday and, in fact, I got a ton of replies but funny enough it’s like 50% want it on Friday, 50% on Monday. At the moment I’m not yet sure what to make of it but I’ll think of a good solution. Unfortunately I can’t personalize the email sending date (which I’d love to but as far as I know even paid systems don’t offer this feature). If the date WDRL is delivered to you isn’t ideal for you personally, please mark it unread, flag it or store it as you like and read it when you have time for it later.
Now, have a great weekend and fun with this edition of the latest web development links. And I’m grateful about any donation that keeps this letter and my motivation alive.
- If you use SSLv3 you should react as soon as possible and deactivate it on your servers due to this vulnerability.
- Firefox Nightly now supports WOFF2 and has implemented the CSS Font Loading API as well.
- Firefox 33 is out, adding support for OpenH264 (means mp4 videos also on OS X), new CSP backend,
- Sindre Sorhus’ automated page screenshot tool pageres reached 1.0.0 and now can capture specific elements, supports HTTP authentication, customizable filenames, cookies.
- Opera 25 stable has been released. This means
<picture>support, sceen orientation API, Notifications API, File constructor, TextEncoder/TextDecoder API, much ES6 stuff, and lots of SVG improvements. Lastly, it’s now 64-bit on OS X.
- Dou you Webview? asks Steve Souders and shows how important it is as users mostly visit your website on mobile through a webview.
- It’s absolutely essential to treat front-end development as part of the design process. However, the (foolish, artificial) line between design and development “phases” gets in the way of true collaboration between disciplines. An interesting article on project structures and collaboration.
- Embed files from a github repository like a gist.
- Getting started with and understand the power of Vim.
- How to add or re-issue your SSL certificate. Experiences from Remy Sharp.
- How to add SSL and SPDY easily with Cloudflare and MaxCDN.
Sass / CSS
- LibSass 3.0 is released since yesterday!
- With that you now can use grunt-sass v0.16.0.
- Doh, what a clever technique by Krasimir Tsonev: CSS only solution for UI tracking.
- Why we fail and why whilst we have more knowledge than ever we still can’t apply it properly.
- Chris Eppstein, co-creator of Sass, has some important words for us: “What’s the meaning of life? Loving others.” I find this very important in times where so much hate and anger is shown to other people.
To support this project, Flattr or gratipay me or share this resource with other people. It’s available via E-Mail, RSS and online.
Thanks and all the best,